Peterborough RUFC Academy
Creating the next generation of elite rugby players in Peterborough
Over the past 4 years we have been redeveloping our traditional colts section into a more formal rugby academy pathway, with the aim of taking our players and giving them the best foundations possible to transition from junior rugby to senior rugby, along with the amazing opportunities with rugby colleges, DPP pathways and country representative rugby. Our Academy team consists of 3 squads, 80+ players and 19+ coaching staff and we are always growing and looking to extend our rugby families to new players.
The Academy pathway is formed from two squads, our junior academy squad (u16s) and our senior academy squad (U17/18s). For the current 2020/21 season we have also introduced a feeder academy squad (U15s) due to coaching staff changes around the club. As we further develop the academy foundations within the club, we aim to offer further progression for our younger junior squads with our coaching staff being more and more involved around the club and with our local schools with aim of provide the best rugby academy pathway in the area.
PRUFC ACADEMY STRUCTURE
The Club's academy has been structured to provide the best foundations possible for all players in Peterborough. With our ever growing links and contacts with rugby colleges, premiership academies and representative rugby. We aim to give the correct foundations to propel our players up the ladder and give them the best career opportunities possible.
AGE GRADE AND SCHOOL RUGBY
As our academy replaced the existing colts format, we truly understand the age grade process and the core foundations skills that are taught to all of our players across the club from the moment they join in our U6s to the time they reach us in the academy at U16s. We aim to work closely with all of our coaching staff to ensure that we are all on the same pathway and vision to provide the best possible opportunity for players to learn, develop and grow to reach the highest level of rugby they can.
We are also looking to start working with our local schools further to increase the opportunities available to all players across the city and embed the PRUFC Academy as one of the core pathways to future careers within the game.
PRUFC JUNIOR ACADEMY
- Aged between 15 and 16 (U16s), players are selected for the Junior Saints Academy programme based on their prowess on the field and attitude off it.
- Huge emphasis is placed on successfully completing their school education alongside experiencing a higher standard of rugby.
- Players are nurtured across all components of performance; technical/tactical, physical preparation, mental wellbeing, and overall lifestyle.
- At the heart of the programme is the notion of individual development within a team environment, supported by principles of long-term athlete development.
- The competitive playing programme enables the coaches to refer an individual's progress back to the context of a game.
PRUFC SENIOR ACADEMY
- Our Senior Academy is the final step in the development of players prior to gaining opportunities to represent the club at a senior/first team level or progress further to gain opportunities with premiership rugby pathways and county level rugby.
- Generally, these players will be 17 to 18 years old (U18s) coinciding with sixth form education.
- Our senior academy squads are always filled from players within our junior academy squads. We are always open to working with new players and having them join our academy family.
- Our senior academy players take part in the East Midlands U18s leagues competing against the likes of Kettering, Ampthill, Bedford Blues to name a few.
- Towards the second half of the academy season we start to run a rolling transition giving our oldest players in our senior academy squad the chance to progress and train within our senior rugby set up at the club whilst bringing through a few of our junior academy players to give them the opportunity to showcase their skills on the senior academy stage.
INTERESTED IN JOINING?
At the PRUFC Academy we are always looking to expand and grow our academy family. We are always open to new players coming down and joining in. We don’t operate a trial or invitation system, simply turn up and give it a try.
We currently train on a Tuesday and Thursday evening at the Fortress Fengate. Our meet time is 6:45pm. Sessions then run from 7pm – 8:30pm.
If you are interested in joining our journey as a player, coach or sponsor please email our Head of Academy Rugby Jordan Smithson via: firstname.lastname@example.org